BREEAM New Construction International
What is BREEAM New Construction International ?
BREEAM International New Construction is one of the most recognised global environmental assessment tools for new property developments.
This environmental measurement tool enables developers and architects to integrate the highest standard of environmental sustainability in their specifications. It also ensures that the asset’s ongoing sustainable performance is recognised as it integrates measures for sustainable occupation management processes.
The BREEAM New Construction International 2016 scheme can be used to assess the environmental life cycle impacts of new buildings at the design and construction stages. The scheme covers a number of asset types, including:
- 1. Residential
- 2. Commercial (i.e. offices, industrial, and retail)
- 3. Education
- 4. Residential Institutions
- 5. Hotels and Residential Institutions; and
- 6. Non-standard building types (i.e. town hall, sports facilities, library, cinema, hospital, fire station and transport hubs).
Why is BREEAM New Construction International important for developers?
Applied in over 69 countries, BREEAM International New Construction provides developers with an internationally recognised third party accreditation to guide, assess and monitor the sustainability of their design and construction practices.
The certification rates buildings across nine different categories over both the design and post-construction stage:
- 1. Energy
- 2. Water
- 3. Materials
- 4. Pollution
- 5. Land Use & Ecology;
- 6. Health & Wellbeing;
- 7. Waste
- 8. Transport; and
- 9. Management
Evidence needs to be collected at two different stages in a building’s lifecycle:
- 1. Design Stage (DS): influence the architect and engineer’s design strategy to ensure that they embed best practice environmental measures.
- 2. Post-construction stage (PCS): ensure that the contractor maintains the same level of environmental stewardship during the construction phase.
An asset’s score is then calculated based on its performance relative to the BREEAM credits and their requirements. Each credit and its associated best practice measure have a different impact on the overall rating.
How does a BREEAM New Construction International certification benefit you?
BREEAM is the European leader in green building certification, accounting for more than 80% of all sustainable commercial certifications in Europe.
With over 250,000 buildings registered, the BREEAM New Construction International certification has been shown to help companies:
- 1. Increase their GRESB (Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark) score;
- 2. Ensure market recognition of buildings with a low environmental impact;
- 3. Achieve sustainability credentials in line with environmental policy;
- 4. Raise awareness amongst owners, occupants, designers and operators of the benefits and value of buildings with a reduced life cycle impact on the environment;
- 5. Review the performance of the entire asset portfolio, enable benchmarking and identify high and underperforming assets;
- 6. Identify priorities for investment to improve building performance and staff productivity.
How can Longevity help you with BREEAM New Construction International Certification?
Since inception, Longevity Partners has certified over 1 million sq ft of newly constructed real estate and is the proven chosen partner for clients wanting to certify their new developments with the BREEAM New Construction scheme.
From design to construction, our team of experts will:
- 1. Manage the entire certification process in any European country;
- 2. Provide a specialist team with over 10 years’ experience in assessments globally;
- 3. Act as independent advisors on all matters related to sustainability and energy;
- 4. Offer access to a network of professionals that can help meet the requirements of the various credits;
- 5. Provide consistent assessment standards all over Europe.