What is BREEAM In-Use?
BREEAM In-Use is the most widely used certification system for existing buildings in the world, covering more than 10 million sq m of certified space in 30 countries.
Why BREEAM In-Use?
The main benefit of BREEAM In-Use is its distinction between the performance of a building (Part 1), how it is managed (Part 2), and the impacts of occupant behaviour (Part 3).
BREEAM In-Use can be used to benchmark individual assets, asset groups or entire portfolios against a robust body of research and existing buildings across the world. It can also help to monitor performance and facilitate the continuous improvement of a property or portfolio of properties.
WHAT TYPES OF BUILDINGS CAN RECEIVE A BREEAM IN-USE CERTIFICATION?
All non-domestic asset types that meet the following criteria:
- 1. The asset has been occupied for at least one year and consumption data is available for the duration of that time;
- 2. The asset contains spaces that are occupied for longer than 30 minutes at a time
- 3. The asset is a complete and finished structure;
- 4. The asset is compliant with all the relevant environmental and health and safety legislation in its location.
WHAT DO YOU NEED TO DO TO COMPLY with BREEAM In-Use?
- BREEAM In-Use covers major environmental and other sustainability issues that affect buildings and occupants throughout their operational lifecycle. It captures data across nine key sustainability categories:
- Land Use & Ecology
- Health & Wellbeing
The scoring system is based on BREEAM In-Use credits. Each credit (209 in total) has a different impact on the overall rating. The assessments are split across three different parts, which can be undertaken independently.
- 1. Asset Performance: The performance of the asset’s base build, construction fixtures and installed building services
- 2. Building Management: How well a property asset is managed
- 3. Occupier Management: Tenant engagement and reducing tenants’ environmental and wider sustainability impact
HOW DOES A BREEAM IN-USE CERTIFICATION BENEFIT YOU?
There are a tremendous numbers of benefits of BREEAM IN-USE, we have listed the main ones below.
- 1. Certification increases your GRESB (Global Real Estate Sustainability Benchmark) score
- 2. BREEAM In-Use addresses most requirements that may be included in a company’s Fit-Out & Refurbishment guidelines
- 3. The scheme supports enhancing sustainability credentials in line with a company’s environmental and sustainability policy
- 4. The Building and Occupier Management parts facilitate tenant engagement
- 5. The scheme provides a clear framework for reviewing the performance of an individual asset or an entire property portfolio, enabling benchmarking and the identification of high- and underperforming assets
- 6. The assessment process encourages continuous year-on-year improvements, which allows easily identifying priorities for investment to lower operational costs, and enhance building performance and occupier wellbeing
HOW CAN LONGEVITY HELP YOU WITH YOUR BREEAM In-Use CERTIFICATION?
Longevity Partners has extensive experience in assessing and certifying assets with BREEAM In-Use. We currently manage the BREEAM In-Use certifications of more than £9bn worth of properties for a number of clients in 10 countries across Europe. This make us one of the largest assessor organisations in the world.
Our team of experts consist of BREEAM In-Use and BREEAM New Construction assessors and LEED APs with over two decades of combined experience in green building certifications.
Our qualifications and European client and partner network allows us to ensure that your project is delivered efficiently and to the highest possible standard.
Our services include:
- 1. Management of the entire certification process in any European country, both in BREEAM International as well as National Scheme Operator (NSO) regions’
- 2. Evaluation of assets against scheme requirements and use outcomes to increase BREEAM In-Use rating by identifying and bridging gaps in performance
- 3. Acting as advisors on all matters related to sustainability in operational buildings
- 4. Enhancing internal review and auditing processes
- 5. Helping to create and/or strengthen sustainability policies and procedures
- 6. Providing consistent assessment standards across Europe