Health and wellbeing within buildings has become one of the most important elements of sustainable construction. Buildings should not only be energy efficient. They should have positive health impacts on the people that use the building and contribute to a holistically sustainable environment.
In 2013, the United Nations declared the 20th March as the world’s first International Day of Happiness in an effort to raise global awareness of the importance of wellbeing.
WELL is a performance-based system for measuring, certifying and monitoring features of the built environment that impact human health and well-being through seven concepts: air, water, nourishment, light, fitness, comfort and mind.
It is composed of over one hundred elements featuring both performance-based and descriptive standards. These either allow for flexibility in how a project meets acceptable quantified thresholds or references specific technology, design strategies or protocols.
It includes both mandatory baseline elements and optional enhancement features that together determine the level of certification above baseline certification.
What are the WELL implications?
- The Client has to appoint a WELL Assessor and register the project through the online registration portal.
- Upon registration, projects must complete documentation submission and schedule performance verification with an agreed timeframe.
- A period begins during which all the documentation is reviewed and a site visit is conducted by the WELL assessor.
- The WELL organisation recognises whether the project has successfully met the requirements of both the mandatory elements and targeted optional enhancement features.
- Should the client wish to rectify any non-compliant elements, they have the option of doing so during the recertification period.
How does a WELL certification benefit you?
The WELL building standard is designed to improve the health, comfort and knowledge of building occupants. The implications of the standard are not only to increase the happiness index of employees and personal health, but also increase their productivity, and offer tenants a work environment that nurtures business development.
How can Longevity Partners help you?
- We can build the path to achieving your desired WELL rating
- As your WELL Accredited Professional (WELL AP), we will be your WELL assessor and project administrator
- You will have access to our network of architects, engineers and suppliers that will help you improve the health and wellbeing of your new build or refurbishment project
- Act as your advisors on all matters related to sustainability, energy and health and wellbeing