CO2 Reduction Commitment Energy Efficiency Scheme (CRC)
CRC is the UK equivalent of a carbon tax.
Introduced in the UK via the Energy Act 2008, CRC requires all qualifying organisations to pay a tax for every tonne of carbon emitted as a result of their operations.
Who needs to comply?
Private and public organisations consuming more than 6,000 MWh of half hourly-metered electricity in 2013/2014 (phase two).
What do I need to do to comply?
- Create an evidence pack
- Register with the scheme administrator
- Register all electricity and gas supplies with the scheme administrator
- Calculate carbon liability
- Compile a CRC footprint report
- Compile a CRC annual report
- Purchase CRC allowances and
- Redeem CRC allowances
How can Longevity Partners help you?
We can guide you through each element of your CRC compliance requirements and beyond. We can:
- Prepare your CRC strategy
- Manage landlord/tenant relationships, including attendance at tenants meetings
- Register all your energy supplies with the scheme administrator
- Assist with energy consumption data gathering, collating and analysis
- Compile your evidence pack
- Submit your evidence pack to scheme administrator
- Prepare your footprint report
- Prepare your annual report
- Assist you to purchase allowances
- Assist you to redeem allowances
- Identify energy efficiency opportunities
- Communicate with tenants and occupiers to foster behavioural changes
- Develop communication tools to increase energy efficiency
- Implement energy efficiency and cost reduction programmes to mitigate CRC related costs
- Manage third party funding opportunities and
- Monitor and report on improvements achieved
What happens if my organisation fails to comply?
CRC imposes various sanctions upon organisations that do not comply with the Scheme.*
- Imprisonment of up to two years
- A fixed penalty of up to £50,000
An additional £500 per day for each day after the compliance date up to £20,000
- A fine of £40/tCO2 in respect of each allowance that should have been obtained and surrendered
- Publication of non-compliance details
*Source: The CRC Energy Efficiency Scheme Order 2010